Working to build strong values in children, families, and the community, the YMCA is an outstanding facility that provides programs for boys and girls, as well as adults. No one is turned away due to an inability to pay.
The YMCA first organized in Parkersburg during the mid-19th century. The first building was located on 8th Street. This facility was closed in 1954, and a new building was opened on Broad Street in 1966. Broad Street continues to be the present location of the YMCA. The current facility first served as an administrative building. In 1974, an indoor pool was built, and a gymnasium and locker room were added in 1980. The most recent expansion project was completed on January 1, 1998 when a new fitness center and a multi-purpose gym were opened to the public.
The YMCA is constantly growing and today is one of the most used facilities of its kind in this region of the county. Through this endowment fund, the Parkersburg Area Community Foundation is helping to ensure that the YMCA will continue to serve the community well into the 21st century.