Dr. Robert C. Robinson was born in 1916 in Marietta. He graduated from Marietta High School, then in 1938, from the Illinois College of Optometry. In World War II, he was commissioned as a Lieutenant in the United States Navy. He served in the Pacific Theatre aboard the hospital ship U.S.S. Sanctuary. Upon Dr. Robinson's return to Parkersburg, he practiced optometry until his retirement in the 1990's. He was a member of the Wayside United Methodist Church, as well as the American Legion Post 15, and he avidly supported the Humane Society as a board member. Dr. Robinson generously entrusted part of his estate to the Parkersburg Area Community Foundation. These funds are to be used for the benefit, protection, and support of battered women and children and those organizations which serve them.